Sunday, June 8, 2008

RPA Numbers

After creating RPA (Run Production Average), I made some new alterations to make the stat easier to gauge. I also tested it to compare it's usefulness to other run estimators. First I made a new form that is on the scale of batting average (.271 being average). I did this my making Wins (positive runs) and Losses (negative runs), then finding a Winning Percentage, which I then scaled to batting average.

Here is the RPA for all qualified batters from 2000-2007. Bonds had the best season in 2004, with a .421 RPA. Neifi Perez had the worst in 2002, with a horrific .209 (.236/.260/.303).

I also made RPA with a positional adjustment for 2007. Jorge Posada led baseball with a .342 RPAP, and Nick Punto was last among qualified with a .217.

I also calculated the Pearson's correlation in order to find out how well it predicted runs per game by a team. Here is the comparison. The R value is .9329, which, compared to other run estimators, is pretty good.

No comments: